Friday, March 09, 2007

Words and Words

intimate 1 |ˈintəmit| |ˌɪn(t)əmət| |ˌɪntɪmət|
adjective
1 closely acquainted; familiar, close : intimate friends | they are on intimate terms.
• (of a place or setting) having or creating an informal friendly atmosphere : an intimate little Italian restaurant.
• [ predic. ] used euphemistically to indicate that a couple is having a sexual relationship : he was sickened by the thought of others having been intimate with her.
• involving very close connection : their intimate involvement with their community.
2 private and personal : going into intimate details of his sexual encounters | intimate correspondence.
• used euphemistically to refer to a person's genitals : touching her in the most intimate places.
3 (of knowledge) detailed; thorough : an intimate knowledge of the software.
noun
a very close friend : his circle of intimates.
DERIVATIVES
intimately |ˌɪn(t)əmətli| adverb
ORIGIN early 17th cent.(as a noun): from late Latin intimatus, past participle of Latin intimare ‘impress, make familiar,’ from intimus ‘inmost.’
intimate 2 |ˈintəˌmāt| |ˌɪn(t)əˈmeɪt| |ˌɪntɪmeɪt|
verb [ trans. ]
imply or hint [with clause ] : he had already intimated that he might not be able to continue.
• state or make known : Mr. Hutchison has intimated his decision to retire.
DERIVATIVES
intimation |ˌintəˈmā sh ən| |ˈɪn(t)əˌmeɪʃən| |-ˌmeɪʃ(ə)n| noun
ORIGIN early 16th cent.: from late Latin intimat- ‘made known,’ from the verb intimare (see intimate 1 ). The noun intimation dates from late Middle English .


intimate 2
|ˈintəˌmāt| |ˌɪn(t)əˈmeɪt| |ˌɪntɪmeɪt|
verb [ trans. ]
imply or hint [with clause ] : he had already intimated that he might not be able to continue.
• state or make known : Mr. Hutchison has intimated his decision to retire.
DERIVATIVES
intimation |ˌintəˈmā sh ən| |ˈɪn(t)əˌmeɪʃən| |-ˌmeɪʃ(ə)n| noun
ORIGIN early 16th cent.: from late Latin intimat- ‘made known,’ from the verb intimare (see intimate 1 ). The noun intimation dates from late Middle English .
—————————————————

4 comments:

Abadiebitch said...

LOL!

Do we get a clue my dear friend as to the motive here today?

I am not always the quickest on the uptake you know.

Absorbant said...

Indeed you do!

Yes. I feel that particular person had mistaken 'Intimate' with 'intimate' — they presume too much about this huge world.

I think your comentator might be mentally ill — I can say this because of the evidence: his/her methods of argumentation, lack of sympathy, lack of respect for personal cyber-space, and lack of perspective; and that I feel I am able to say this -to pathologise them- just because I manage to accuse this virtual personality FIRST.
I don't often throw a condemnation like this out so willfully.

I also posted this defintion as just one example of the number of words that not spelled identically and are not synonyms, some words can only be understood by the context, and I bet there is no language that is free from this.

I am upset and angered for you and your loved ones — that someone feels they can dismiss you because you weaken their biases and prejudices.

Abadiebitch said...

Spouse=disposable insignificant other

The above=combination of sarcasm and snark.


What will children become? Handbags I presume.

Absorbant said...

Sorry for not writing back sooner.

Also I was trying to figure out something significant to say about these points (apart from the 'handbags' which are about that gob-smacking picture you posted up).

An antonym of Espouse= Despouse?