Miami Vice, was always a no-no, I have nothing to add to what Kathleen has said about the TV show (you poor woman, I can picture that 80's dancefloor — dreadful!). I never 'got' it, myself — apart from unsuccessfully trying to convince my Mum to get me Ray-Bans and 'highlights' in my bouffy mullet.
On 24 . . .
I have to admit that I was initially caught up in the first series — I am male, after all — but it soon became apparent to me that there were many real problems here.
There is a Hummer, that's just to start with...there are other things going on which are problematic:
The rapid resort to Torture; The idea that everyone else is a suspect; The fusing of 'Technology' with 'Hero' is a classic fascist-fantasy tranche; And the very style of 24, where We, in a very real way, are viewing an example of how we are to Submit in real life, and are expected to praise an individual's action as the epitome of expected behaviour in these so-called 'dangerous times'.
That the programme comes from Rupert Murdoch's Fox TV comes as no surprise — Look through the other end of the telescope and 24 becomes as sinister as a Leni Riefenstahl film.
Wednesday, June 07, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
What a great mind you have. See I would be irritated by something, like the Hummer, and get stuck because of the irritation that all I can do is turn away. It takes me having to watch (forcefully)then forcefully thinking about why I dislike something to even remotely come to some conclusion to why.
Excellent points. It is all about the Torture. Hail to the Torture and all of that jazz. I hate it.
Good post!!!
Post a Comment