Saturday, March 03, 2007

Sandie Shaw - Girl don't Come

This is from the 60's, the decade that everyone else goes on about being great. Who knows what she thought about the bigger meaning behind this song, but there is a sense of fear in the words.
The lyrics are sung by a girl but is apparently from the point of view of a boy waiting for for his date. Is it a warning? Or is it a warning? Or is it a warning to him, her, us?

I find this a quite brilliant and sinister piece.

4 comments:

Professor Zero said...

And she looks sinister, too.

Absorbant said...

Of course the there's always the good possibility that the guy is a complete dweeby pain who doesn't 'get' signals.

Abadiebitch said...

I don't understand most of what she is saying. I don't have a very good ear. I will search for the lyrics and then comment.

Absorbant said...

I see.
Her accent is from the deep east-end of London. Its funny — I thought her style was almost 'international', until five minutes ago.
So, its not just a stylisation.

Here are the lyrics:

You have a date for half past eight tonight
Some distant bell starts chiming now

You wanna see her
You wanna see her, oh yeah
So you wait, you wait and wait
Girl don't come

The time floats on, those minutes fly by
You wanna go, but just you try, guy

You wanna see her
You wanna see her, oh yeah
So you wait, you wait and wait
Girl don't come

You've been stood up
Tears fill your eyes, ohoho
You're hurt inside
You wanna go, oho

You have a date for half past eight tonight
Some distant bell starts chiming now

You wanna see her
You wanna see her, oh yeah
So you wait, you wait and wait
Girl don't come

You've been stood up
Tears fill your eyes, ohoho
You're hurt inside
You wanna go, oho

You wanna see her
You wanna see her, oh yeah
So you wait, you wait and wait
Girl don't come
Girl don't come
Girl don't come