Monday, June 05, 2006

Bluebearded or not

When will I start prattling, Moksha? I know, I know!! Much like a drone bee, I'm either working or sleeping. And it is so incredible that this year is almost halfway through (I think its because I have no visible landmarks).

I'm finding it really difficult to start writing, its very like the feeling I still get when I look at a dance-floor: Where, how, do I start, and, leaving aside that I might look foolish, which bits will wobble strangely?

On friday I'm going to my first opera, I've tried to 'get' opera before, but I can't bear the medium and the pompous bastards who go — I can only justify this excursion, or indeed, patronise this supposéd artform, because of my fondness for Bartók's work. It is his only Opera (maybe he hated the form as much as I do); the very gothic "Bluebeard's Castle".

Went to the library the other day and came away with 5 films, I had this idea I could listen while I pile through my work — but of course, I'd forgotten that I can't speak french, I can't speak japanese, and I can't speak mandarin. So, there they are on my coffee table, mocking my monoglot status, and trying their best to get me to put all other things aside. Here they are . . . La Chinoise by that old pseudo-maoist Jean Luc Godard; Red Beard by Akira Kurosawa; Mon Oncle by Jacques Tati; A Touch of Zen, and Orphée by Jean Cocteau.

Moksha, It was good to see your post at the cynic's. I've just been trying to track down Gunther Grass' complete speech but I guess its not been published yet. The organisers of the occasion he was speaking at look like a Moksha-friendly bunch: http://internationalpen.mindunit.co.uk/index.php?pid=33&aid=428

3 comments:

Abadiebitch said...

I see your entry! Can you download Firefox with your MAC?

You are so funny about the opera. Regarding the languages at least you are not from a monolingual country who insist on monolingulism (I think I just made up those words).

I thought that speech was grand. I followed a trail to it at someone said how someone had got all Harold Pinter on someone's ass. LOL!

Good to read you. As always you are perfect!

Abadiebitch said...

By the way, here is a very good read. He/she has a column in a paper somewhere:

http://candidesnotebooks.blogspot.com/

Absorbant said...

Its been a mad day so far, but what I finally realised was that if I click on that "Blog This" thing at the top of the page it speeds life up not inconsiderably! (to use a double negative from Trollope)

Phew — I am a dufus.

I downloaded Firefox yesterday, it is good, I can understand why people have been talking about it when compared to IE. I am a tabbed browser how about you?