Monday, February 12, 2007

To ChasingMoksha and Prof Z

Here are some links for you. You already know, as women, what you are up against. But its the extent of the codifcation that you ought to be aware of.

The implications of "Gamesmanship" and "Lifemanship" was developed by the satirist Stephen Potter.

Sadly, the idea of "Gamesmanship" is practiced by too many people to be an actual joke, or funny — And its better not let on that you don't find it so.

I was reminded of this when a friend of mine, was playing on-line chess. During a timed match he was accused by his opponent of "being a computer" which annoyed and distracted him so much that he lost his advantage by wasting time trying to come up with a witty riposte. His opponent wasn't actually cheating remember, and you'd be called a 'bad-sport' to say so!

This can be seen everywhere, and you're left feeling out-manoevered by what are recogniseably examples of gamesmanship.

From the WIki feature:
The term "gamesmanship" is also used for similar techniques used in non-game situations, such as negotiations and elections.

Each form is frequently used as a means of describing dubious methods of winning and/or psychological tricks used to intimidate or confuse one's opponent. Technically speaking, these tactics are One-upmanship, defined in a later book by Potter as the art of being one-up on somebody else.

The term also appears in art theory to mean playfulness, as in "literary gamesmanship".

I can't do this (at least, I'm not sure I do it intentionally — just like anyone else I suppose).

To see more of this, try this excellent but dated example, the original "School For Scoundrels".

14 comments:

Abadiebitch said...

Have you seen the Billy Bob Thornton version yet? If they were going to remake the damn thing, why not keep it British? UGH!

Not cheating but feels like cheating, sounds like capitalism.

Absorbant said...

"Not cheating but feels like cheating, sounds like capitalism."

...yes its this happens everywhere, not just 'the little island' sadly. I think the whole idea sounds like a Passive-Agressive excuse, and I see people having to engage with "Gamesmanship" all the same.

The new version looks awful, I can tell this from the dumbass questions on IMDB.

I liked your Riding Along On... post, and the Harold Melvin link — you're so cool!

Abadiebitch said...

I have been thinking alot about the rewards of passive-aggressiveness. It gets paid a lot it seems. I hate it, hate it, hate it. Yet, I hate cruelty as well and people act as if they are straightforward they must be cruel. I think one can be straightforward without being cruel. Perhaps straighforwardness in itself as been deemed cruel.

Absorbant said...

And how about the actions of armed participants in Iraq, we could call this "Dissociative-Agression".

Another example of "Dissociative-Agression" might be "The Hero":
Just like Jack Bauer in 24....I'm glad to see a growing movement who are critical of the rapid resort to torture, let alone the unexamined idea that intelligence gathered using torture will be 100% accurate.

Last night I heard that US top-brass is concerned at how bad an influence Fox's "24" is upon troops.

Abadiebitch said...

What book would you like to read together? Tell me....

Abadiebitch said...

While you are sitting on the fence due to a lack of committment, I will read for fun Domestic Manners of the Americans by Frances Trollope.

I have been in too much of a funk to write, even though there is lots I want to say about North and South and Midsomer Murders. Robin Hood starts here March 3. Can't wait.

Absorbant said...

Hmm, you too?

I've been thinking of "The Loved One" by Evelyn Waugh . . . I don't know why really, I've not seen the film version, and I'm not sure if I can suggest it though as I've just spent half an hour trying to make a convincing case. Although I do like his grim eye for euphemism.

Abadiebitch said...

Okay, do you have a copy already? I will need a few days to get a copy. I looked the author up and I am ready for this one. I'm going to school now, ----will communicate later.

Absorbant said...

"The Loved One: An Anglo-American Tragedy"
(Penguin Modern Classics)

If I can I'll always buy the cheapest or used one, I'm buying it now for the bargain price of £3.22.

Much love.

Professor Zero said...

OK I will study this! :-)

Abadiebitch said...

So your boy Prince Harry is all ready to go off to Iraq and what happens? Mr. Blair announces troop withdrawal. Surprise, surprise. LOL!

Absorbant said...

I was thinking of suggesting Henry IV (pt. 1). The current little Nazi is being protected/buddied by an ex-Sas man who vaguely reminded me of a Falstaff.
I think "Prince Hal" is potentially dangerous, because of he what he's been through (or should I say, his Mum).

And you are right about the Blair's manoevers, conspiracists will say that its the least he can do after helping to kill Diana...
And although the Basra withdrawal has been planned for a long time, it is true this seems to be rather convenient timing!

Abadiebitch said...

I had a good little read on Wiki about Falstaff. His picture reminds me of one of the characters in The Canterbury Tales, ---maybe the friar?

Absorbant said...

I see that there are rumours about Shakespeare basing Falstaff on a high-profile executed Lollard (an early sort of 'Protestant'), Sir John Oldcastle, an original "Dissenter".